We are pleased to invite you to the 5th International Symposium on the Internet of Sounds (IS2 2024). The Internet of Sounds is an emerging research field at the intersection of the Sound and Music Computing and the Internet of Things domains.
The symposium will be hosted at the International Audio Laboratories Erlangen, Germany, a joint institution of the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) and Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS.
The aim is to bring together academics and industry to investigate and advance the development of Internet of Sounds technologies by using novel tools and processes. The event will consist of presentations, keynotes, panels, poster presentations, demonstrations, tutorials, music performances, and installations.
Call for Papers and Demos
Topics of interest include and are not limited to:
- Networked immersive audio for the Internet of Sounds
- Web Audio for the Internet of Sounds
- Networked Musical XR
- Semantic Audio applications for the Internet of Sounds
- Embedded audio
- Smart musical instruments
- Ubiquitous music
- Networked music performances
- Participatory live music performances
- Musical haptics for the Internet of Musical Things
- Music education applications for the Internet of Musical Things
- Intelligent music production in Internet of Musical Things contexts
- Protocols and exchange formats for the Internet of Sounds
- Wireless acoustic sensor networks
- Privacy and security in acoustic sensor networks
- Detection and classification of sounds in acoustic sensor networks
- Visualization and Sonification of acoustic sensor networks
- Sonification for Internet of Sounds applications
- Audio datasets for Deep Learning and Data Mining
- Challenges in the management and delivery of large audio databases
- Visualization, access, and indexing of audio databases
- Cloud-based services for musical and audio applications
- Improving accessibility and inclusiveness within the Internet of Sounds
- Sustainability and ethical aspects of the Internet of Sounds
- Music information retrieval in networked applications
We consider contributions in the form of a full paper (min 5 pages, max 10 pages), a poster paper (min 2 pages, max 4 pages), or a demo proposal (max 2 pages). Authors are welcome to submit to all three tracks. We encourage the submission of work in progress as well as more mature work. However, only the contributions of at least 4 pages will be included in the Proceedings to be submitted to IEEE.
The program will include two satellite events:
- The 1st International Workshop on the Musical Metaverse
- The 2nd International Workshop on Networked Immersive Audio
For the topics addressed in each workshop please visit the respective webpages.
All submissions will be fully, single-blind peer-reviewed. The papers must be submitted via EasyChair paper management system. The expected number of pages for contribution should not exceed 10 pages for paper. Authors must follow IEEE ethical and writing guidelines.
LaTeX and Word template: IEEE conference templates.
Submission portal: TBA
Call for Performances and Installations
We invite submissions that showcase the internet of sounds in performance and sound installations. Proposed works should have a clear connection to the conference and may be connected to a poster or demo submission. We particularly invite pieces that last 5-12 minutes, however, shorter and longer performance proposals will be considered.
Performances and Installations Submission
A proposal (compiled in a SINGLE pdf) should include a one-page project description, one-page description of technical requirements, short program notes, artist bio(s), and a link to any performance/installation audio or audio-visual documentation (if available). The documentation link should use streaming-only services, e.g., SoundCloud, Vimeo, YouTube.
Please keep in mind the following when preparing performance and installation submissions:
- Space requirements: Indicate whether the work would be more suitable for a university environment (hallways, staircases, indoor and outdoor plazas), club, traditional concert stage, gallery, public space, or other venue.
- Performer(s): List all performers that would need to be involved. Please note that the organizers cannot provide funding to support any additional performers’ travel or accommodation.
- Feasibility: Provide evidence of the feasibility of the performance or installation. Include documentation and list of previous performances of the submitted or related work that demonstrate the submitter’s capacity to implement the proposal.
Submission portal: TBA
- All submission deadlines: July 15, 2024
- Author notification: August 15, 2024
- Camera-ready due: September 9, 2024
- Early registration deadline: August 26, 2024
- Late registration deadline: September 23, 2024
- Symposium dates: September 30 – Oct 2, 2024
The Organizing Committee will select the winners for the Best Paper, Best Student Paper, and Best Demo awards. To be eligible for the Best Student Paper award, the presenting and first author of the paper must be a full-time student.
- Local Chair: Nils Peters – University of Erlangen-Nürnberg and Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS
- Paper Co-chair: Jakob Abeßer – Fraunhofer Institute for Digital Media
- Paper Co-chair: Joseph Malloch – Dalhousie University
- Music & Installations Co-chair: Marlon Schumacher – Institute for Music informatics and Musicology Karlsruhe
- Music & Installations Co-chair: Esther Fee Feichtner – University of Music and Performing Arts Munich
- Industry Liaison Chair: Jan Dürre – Sennheiser
- Communication Chair: Birgit Popp – Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS
- Diversity Chair: Claudia Rinaldi – CNIT – National Inter-University Consortium for Telecommunications
- Facility Chair: Stefan Turowski – Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS
- General Chair: Luca Turchet – University of Trento
Address: International Audio Laboratories Erlangen, Am Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen, Germany, https://maps.app.goo.gl/78v13G3AWpGXJRb5A. The event will be in a partial hybrid format.
Code of conduct
The code of conduct for attending IS2 is described here.
Enquiries can be addressed to Prof. Nils Peters: firstname.lastname@example.org